Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Give God the Eraser

"What are you going to do now?" Anyone who has been through a divorce knows this is the one question that comes up in almost every conversation. I can tell you one thing. The answer to that question has changed frequently in the last six months. Should I move home where I grew up? Should I move back to Slapout? (Yes, that is a place. Our family lived there for six years, and my girls still think of that place as home.) Should stay where I am? Should I move to a completely new place and start over? My girls and I have considered every one of those options at one point or the other.

Now let me tell you something about myself. I am a planner. I want to know where I am going to be and what I am going to be doing five years from now. I just feel like I can handle things quite well if I know what to expect. Then I can just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Well, by now you know that I like to look at my "options." This time, it seems as if I have two options.

First, I could go to a fortune teller and find out what my future holds. There is a little shop right on the way to the beach. Maybe I will just stop by there the next time I go that way. I can find out all the answers to my questions!

I hope that you know that I am not serious about this. We all know that no one knows the future except God! So really, I only have ONE option in this case. That is to trust God with my future and take one day at a time. Of course, here is the dilemma. I cannot just sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for God to drop a sign from the sky every day telling me what to do. So I have to seek Him through prayer and advice from Godly friends. Then I have to make a decision.

For now, after much prayer and consideration, we will stay where we are for the next year. Tentatively, we plan to stay here at least for three years until the girls both graduate. But who knows? For now, we will take it year by year and see what God has in store for us.

My friend gave me a great quote today. She said, "Make your plans in pencil, and give God the eraser." I like that. That is what I will do. His plans are the best anyway, and I know that He has good things in store for me and my girls.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11 (New Living Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment