Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Reconnecting with Old Friends

Tomorrow I am headed to Slapout! It is the nice little country community that we lived in before moving here. We spent six years there. Anna was six, and Lily was eight when we moved there. When they think of home, they think of Slapout.

I am going to visit some friends from the past. We have to be wise when we go into the world of divorce. But the one thing that I think we cannot do wrong is to reconnect with old friends. I was thinking about this just the other day. When you make a friend, there is a reason that person is drawn to you and wants to be your friend. Through reestablishing these friendships, I think that we can find those traits about ourselves that we have somehow lost along the way. This is critical in the process of being made whole again.

Last week I spent the morning with a friend from college that I had not seen in about fifteen years. It was such a good time! She reminded me of how strong I was back then. When I go to Slapout, I will enjoy "game night" with some old friends. We have not done that in over three years. It will be good to remember what it was like when that competitive streak in me comes out. Friday I will have lunch with two friends that I have not been around in about ten years. They were friends that I always laughed and had so much fun with in the past. We are having lunch at the Bass Pro Shop in Prattville. Afterwards they want to go upstairs to the shooting range. I am sure that through my time with them, I will remember what it was like to just have good fun and laugh like a school girl.

Friendships truly are a gift from God. When we lose ourselves and our definition, they still see it in us and help us find that which we've lost.

"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble." Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10 (New Living Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment