Monday, September 27, 2010

The Armadillo Match Rages On

Do not let anyone tell you that armadillos are not smart.  First of all, my new tenant has befriended Anna.  Last week Anna informed Lily that we have an armadillo in our yard.  She saw him when she took LuLu outside.  She said to Lily, "He was so nice."  Can someone please tell me how an armadillo is nice?  I asked her if he was a pet, and she quickly replied, "He could be if I wanted him to."

Two days later I was outside enjoying one of the beautiful evenings.  I walked around the house to the front yard, and I saw him.  He was huge.  I had no idea that they were such large animals.  He must have been three feet long, and he was fat.  At that point I had an even harder time understanding Anna's bond with this critter.

He seemed pretty tame, and my friend had given me a crazy idea.  She said that I should try to catch him by putting a laundry basket on top of him.  The girls' friend Ross was here, and I decided he could be the man for the moment and help catch this critter.  I handed him the laundry basket and gave him the simple task of putting the basket on top of the armadillo.  It seemed easy enough to me.  Of course, I had no idea what we would do if we caught him.

Ross took one look at him and said, "No way.  That is a huge armadillo."  He just ran out in the yard with the basket and scared him off.  To top it off, he threw the basket into the wooded area by our house.  At this point, I was stomping my foot and screaming, "Ross, go get that basket."  He refused.  He was scared our friend was going to come out of the woods and attack him.  We argued for five minutes on the porch before I finally went stomping off to take care of it myself.  As I huffed away, I said, "I am tired of having to be the 'man' of the house."  Lily had joined us by now.  Just as I made my way into the deep, dark forest to grab the basket away from my nemesis, Lily and Ross screamed at the top of their lungs.  They scared me out of my wits.  I ran in the house, basket in hand, feeling like I had conquered the world.  Then it dawned on me that the armadillo was probably munching on some grub worms that he had just dug out of my yard and laughing as our adventure played out in front of him like a movie.

I think it would be fair to say that Round 2 went to the armadillo!

"It's all good.  It ain't always nice, but it's all good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment